Tuesday, December 19, 2006

 

Too Zonked to Think of Good Subject Line so This'll Have to Do

Except for peeing after you've really had to pee for a long time, feeling better after feeling sick is, quite possibly, the best feeling in the whole world.

I started feeling pukey on Sunday at our friend's birthday party, and was a full blown disaster by 8:00 that night. The worst moment was when I was throwing up in the bathroom while listening to Mae, hungry and crying in the nursery with her dad, and trying to shout, between wretches, "I'll be there in a minute." I just couldn't, couldn't look after her and that helpless feeling was almost worse than vomiting steak pie all night.

I'm so lucky that my husband was there to take over (everything but the breastfeeding, of course). He worked from home the next day and did most of the diaper changes and funny faces and general childcare stuff. I've said it before, but it deserves re-saying: Somebody needs to give single parents medals and free nannies. Being sick with an infant felt horrible, but being sick and alone with an infant must just be impossible. It must be the scariest, scariest thing.

But today is a much-much better day, although I'm still tired and not feeling fantabulous. (We ventured out to get wrapping paper from the dollar store down the street, and it very nearly killed me.) Mae has been taking good care of me, too. We had the biggest-ever snuggly sleep-in in the big bed this morning until 11:00. And she also went pretty easy on me the rest of the day, doing lots of quiet playing on her mat, happy gurgling and even some swinging in her swing-o-matic. That's where she is now, actually; going back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And, amazing! Watching her rocking isn't even making me feel sick.

Comments:
I'm glad you're feeling better! Dude, you know it's bad when you ENJOY throwing up!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?