Monday, January 15, 2007

 

The Complications of Rolling

Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy for Mae and her new rolling over thing. It's just that it's awfully inconvenient for me.

Now that she's had a taste of mobility, she's hooked. She refuses to lie passively on her back and play anymore. And she's not even happy to stop at rolling over. Once she's over, she wants to move forward, except she can't (yet), and so she gets mad at the universe and everyone in it. She makes these loud, irritating grunting noises. And if I flip her over onto her back again, she gets even angrier and cries in frustration.

The only time she's really content lately is when she's sitting up. Except that she can't sit up on her own (yet), so one of us has to hold her. Which'd be fine (I love holding her), but it makes it so much harder to, say, wash the dishes, or clean up, or make lunch, or have a quick shower or read a bit of a book - all of which I used to be able to do while she played nearby.

I'm tempted to say that I can't wait until she can sit up on her own, or crawl... except I can see already that these things will bring their own set of complications. Since we got back from Sudbury, I keep looking around in wonder and thinking "How have I never noticed before that our house is a giant death trap??"

Like, just this morning, I put her down on some blankets on the bathroom floor with her toys while I showered (which is what I always do). And she rolled over (which I expected her to do) and came about three inches from banging her perfect head on the trecherously point corner at the bottom of the vanity (which, I swear, wasn't there last week).

Just when I was really starting to get the hang of looking after her, too. Thing have definitely taken a turn around here...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?