Wednesday, January 03, 2007

 

Four months is definitely the best age

Or - at least - it's the best age yet . Mae is so much sturdier than she used to be. She can sit on your lap now for half an hour at a time, and her neck control is awesome. You can lift her right up in the air - 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, blastoff - when singing the song about going to the moon.

She even rolled over (back to front this time)on New Year's day. And then there's also the fact that she's lovely and babbly, and, when she finds something hillarious (like her mobile, or her daddy)she laughs, bobbing her whole body back and forth; the same motion as a seal clapping its flippers.

Our best friend, Jum, who took care of us in the hospital, is here for the week. It's so great. At first, Mae was a bit shy with her, but within a few hours, she had clearly remembered Jum and the time they spent together, rocking in the chair and talking about philosophy, food, fashion and celebrity gossip while I slept.

Officially, Jum is Mae's legal guardian in the event that anything ever happens to me and my husband... but I like to think of her more as a godmother, only without the God part. So more like a fairy godmother, really, but without the puffy dress or preachy morals. Really, more like a bad-assed fairy godmother with good fashion.

She's been coaching Mae on how to misbehave all week. "When you get a bit older, and your mother isn't looking," I'll hear her say, leaning over Mae on the playmat "you can eat jellybeans for breakfast." Mae and I don't want her to go back to New York. We're considering hiding her suitcase.

This is the first time Jum's seen Mae since she was a few days old, and she's amazed at the changes, too. Really, she just seems so grown up compared to those days in the hospital. It feels like millenniums ago to me. I keep catching myself saying things like "When Mae was little, she used to have so much hair," or "When Mae was little, she used to sleep at restaurants so well," or "When Mae was little... fill in the blank." And then the person I'm talking to will laugh at me, and it'll take me a second to figure out why.

Comments:
M'dear your blog makes me smile like nothing else. Chris sent me the link a few months ago, and every so often, just when I need a smile, I remember the link and read up about you and Mae. Thank you so much for sharing...

Love,
Elizabeth
 
Things Kate H hasn't told you:

- Mae is a very stylish baby. One day I was dressing her, and she had an opinion about everything I put on her. The clothes she finally let me put on her were tan corderoy pants and a snazzy pink shirt with a cupcake on it. The ruffle at the neck matched the ruffle at the hem of the pants. As her father in law said, smart kid!

- Mae is the funnest baby to change a diaper on. You get her pants off and she smiles. If she's really drooly and you have to change everything and she's naked, she just laughs and laughs. It's tempting to just carry her around nekkid, cause she likes it so much, but then I think we'd have to change OUR clothes all the time!

- j
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?