Monday, January 01, 2007

 

It's 2007. Christmas is over. Thank God.

Not that it wasn't joyous and magical and full of chocolate, because it was. But it was also kind of exhausting, and I'll be glad to have real life back starting tomorrow.

Mae took her first road trip (to see her Grandma in Ottawa - normally a 5 hour drive, which turned into 7 with all the stops for feeding, etc.); met about a gillion relatives and family friends who wanted to hold her, and coo at her and have their photo taken with her; and received more board books and rattly toys than our house can comfortably hold. All in all, it was a success. She was chatty and lovely and even put up with being dressed in this dumb, itchy santa dress and feathery "baby's first Christmas" hat my mother in law bought her (at least for the 15 minutes it took to have her photo taken).

If I had to choose a favourite first-Christmas moment though, it'd definitely be watching my father in law hold Mae at the dinner table.

To put it in context, exactly a year to the day, we were sitting at that same dinner table when I said I'd pass on dessert (a nauseating rum-soaked triffle) and my mother in law asked me, point blank, if I was pregnant. We'd just found out ourselves two days earlier, and we weren't exactly ready to have her alert the network, but I couldn't lie to her face either.

While everybody else squealed and congratulated us, my father in law turned bright red and rested his head in his hands like the weight of the news was too much for him. Then he made some comments to the effect that being a grandfather would make him officially old. Then he dissapeared into his basement office for a long time. It wasn't exactly the reaction we'd been hoping for.

But this year, he came over and lifted Mae off my lap, then sat, bouncing her on his knee and talking to her while he finished his turkey. "She's a smart one," he said, and told some family friends how they'd watched a hockey game together and she'd tracked the puck with her eyes the entire time. "So alert. Good kid." And then he talked to her in a voice like a duck, which made her smile, which made him smile, which made me feel all Christmassy inside.

Comments:
By us contemporary to grasp more information and facts at all events Visit us contemporary to grasp more information and facts in the matter of [url=http://www.polandlimoservice.com]Bus wynajem warszawa[/url]
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?