Thursday, February 15, 2007

 

Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

Mae is suddenly in to everything she shouldn't be in to. If I turn my back for a second, she somehow manages to twist herself around or wiggle away and is busy pushing the buttons on the phone or the remote, or else reaching for the computer mouse and opening a spreadsheet program I didn't even know we had. Yesterday she used Photoshop to crop a photo. And, while she didn't crop it very well, still!!

She can't even crawl yet, so we can just imagine what we'll be in for when she can. She just gradually wiggles her way toward whatever she wants or, if we're holding her, shifts her centre of gravity so she becomes very heavy in the direction of the thing she wants.

We love the computer, the phone and the TV, so she does too. And it doesn't stop at electronics. Everything we do is fascinating and worthy of immitating. It kind of makes me feel like a rock star. You know like when Criss-Cross was famous for five seconds in the 90s and all the kids started wearing their pants backwards?

I've had a bad cold the past few days, and Mae is fascinated with nose blowing now. Every time I do it, she smiles like its just the greatest thing. Yesterday, I was looking up baby food recipies on the Internet while holding her on my lap and she managed to make herself very heavy to the left until she could reach the box of Kleenex sitting on the sofa. She'd pulled three tissues out and was trying to eat one before I noticed what she was up to.

I told my husband that being so interesting is a big responsibility. We're going to have to start setting a better example by loving more wholesome, healthy things... like sugar-free snacks, educational toys, classical music and napping. That last one shouldn't be too hard.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?