Thursday, March 01, 2007

 

Umbrella Stroller vs. Worst Snowstorm Ever

Winter finally decided to show up in our city. It's cool, except that I wouldn't have minded a little bit of warning. The forecast for the day was mild flurries, so we set off for Momfriend Thursday with our tiny umbrella stroller. I even thought twice about whether or not we really needed the cuddle bag and only grabbed the plastic stroller cover on the way out the door as an afterthought.

But by the time we started for home at 3:30, the snow was already too thick to push the stroller through, and there was tons more falling, along with nasty winds whipping it all around us, making it seem like even more. One of the momfriends had her baby in his snuggly, and she helped us get to the subway, but it was super rough going. I ended up folding up the stroller and carrying it over my shoulder while she took our diaper bag, then holding Mae in my arms and trying not to wipe out or smack anyone on the sidewalk with the stroller.

It was honestly a pretty scary, horrible, vulnerable feeling being such a long way from home, with such a little baby, in such a bad storm. Then it got worse when we got off the subway and realized there was no way we were going to be able to get onto a bus. The station was already packed with people waiting, and no busses in sight.

Thankfully though, when you really need them, the world is full of nice people who like cute babies. A man helped me carry the stroller full of Mae from the subway to the end of our street - five whole blocks. I would never, ever have made it on my own. I swear. If it weren't for that nice man, Mae and I would still be walking.

So now we're just feeling happy to be home where it's safe and warm. And we're never, ever going out again. Not until spring.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?