Friday, October 12, 2007

 

One of Those Mothers

About three years ago, way before Mae was born, my husband and I went to this cottage weekend at a friend's place. There were four or five couples there. Half had babies or young kids and the other half (which, obviously, included us) didn't.

And, dear God, those baby people were annoying. Not only did they never shut up about their kids... how clever they were... how cute they were... what funny noises they liked to make... but they also did incredibly rude and disgusting things. One of them even changed their baby on the dining room table WHILE we were eating. Shudder. My husband and I swore to never be like them.

It just goes to show, you should never say never.

In the past week alone, I've caught myself doing the following, inexcusable things...

#1 - I tore open a package of raisins in line at the grocery store (before having paid for them) and gave them to Mae to keep her quiet.

#2 - I changed her diaper in my in-law's carpeted living room, in full view of the Thanksgiving dinner table, where people were still eating. I admit, it wasn't as bad as changing her on the table... but it was still pretty bad.

#3 - While one of my best friends was pouring out her heart about her mother's stage four cancer, I started laughing because Mae was balancing a baby food jar lid on her nose.

So you see... it's official. I'm one of those mothers. I'm rude. I'm inconsiderate. My entire world revolves around my little girl. But at least I realize it, right? I figure that's got to be some sort of step in the right direction.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?